A Great Lakes Hops proprietary Hop. Michigan Copper won the 2013 Michigan beer trials. This variety shows great promise with its amazing aromatic capabilities. Great for aroma and post boil additions!! Substitutes: Good Luck………
- Alpha Acids: 9-10%
- Beta: 2-3%
- Hop Essential Oils: 1.9-2.7 mL/100g
- Aroma: Hawaiian fruit punch, Black Cherry, Hard red candy, Hibiscus resin
- Beer Styles: IPAs, Pale Ales, Wheats, Belgians, Lagers, Stouts
A new proprietary super-aroma hop released in 2014 by Great Lakes Hops. Mackinac is described by brewers as having robust tropical and citrus aromas and flavors. This hop shows great promise for both wide utility and flavorful new beer styles that are trending toward fruity aromas and flavors. The moderately low cohumulone offers brewers a smoother brewing profile with excellent foam characteristics. This hop was rated in the top 10% by both the brewer’s trials and grower trials for new varieties in 2013.
- Alpha Acids: 10-12%
- Beta: 3.0-3.47%
- Total Oils: 2.2 ml/100g
- Aroma: Tropical Explosion in your mouth. Melon, Papaya with unique floral and peppery undertones
- Beer styles: NE IPAs, IPA, Pale Ale, DIPA, hop eccentric brews.
Cascade/ Kelly Cascade
Released in 1972, the Cascade was the first commercially accepted American-bred aroma hop with a relatively low bittering value. We are finding some very unique flavors with our multiple yards of Cascade. Most lead to a Finger Lakes floral Riesling grape to white peach flavor. Kelly Cascade is a different root stock of Cascade that is giving off a more floral characteristics as well as melon to compliment it. Substitutes: Centennial, Amarillo, Blanc, Lemondrop.
- Alpha acids: 5 – 8.5%
- Beta: 4.5- 7%
- Total Oils: .7-2.0%/100g
- Aroma: Floral Reisling Grape, White Peach, Melon
- Beer Styles: Pale Ales, IPA, Porters, Wheat beers.
Super alpha hybrid with high vigor & yield. A Peltham Golding X 63012M cross. NYS Chinook is a dual purpose bittering/flavoring hop with heavy aroma; spicy, pine-resiny with big pineapple notes. Substitute: Galena, Comet, Cluster.
- Alpha Acids: 10-14%
- Beta: 3-4%
- Total Oils: 1.5-2.7%
- Aroma: Spicy, Piney, with Pineapple, and Tropical fruit tones. NYS grown Chinook is much different then traditional west coast Chinook.
- Beer Styles: Pale Ales, IPAs, heavy bodied dark ales.
Rakau (aka AlphAroma)
A 1980’s triploid seedless smooth cone hybrid from New Zealand. It is considered a super alpha aroma variety with very high potential yields. The unusually high alpha/oil profile makes this a very potent all purpose hop.
- Alpha acids: 7-12%
- Beta: 2.6-4.8%
- Total Oils: 1.2 ml/100g
- Aroma: Apricot and Peach
- Beer styles: Pale Ales, Lagers, IPAs, potent for wet-hopping seasonal ales.